Yovo Yovo

*2006*11 months in the US. Back to real jobs and responsibilities, but still no real clue about what I was doing...except that I loved a man thousands of miles away and wanted to marry him. *2005*12 months in Africa. No real job, no real responsibilities, no real clue about what I was doing. Just living life as a Yovo in an African world, enjoying the experiences I was given, and learning many things about this enormous world, the beautiful people in it, my unknown self, and my very real God.

Friday, November 03, 2006

I'm leaving on a jet plane... but this time I know when I'll be back!

2 months, no blog update. Probably makes you think nothing is going on, that I'm just going about my boring daily business with nothing to report. Really, I probably should have written six entries in the last two months... and so I'll write them all today. If you don't have the time, or don't care, to find out the details of the ups and downs of the last two months, just skip down to "quick update for the lazy" to find out what's going on now.

End of August/Beginning of September: Dear friends and family, I'm going to Ghana until next summer!! Yippee!! I'm probably getting married at Christmas in Kodjo's village!! Yippee!! See, I applied for a teaching position at an international school in Accra. After a couple weeks I believed that I had the job ("All we have left to work out is housing before we are ready to make you a formal offer"), gave up my apartment, gave 2 weeks notice at my waitressing job, quit an educational consulting job I was supposed to start in October, and started packing up my place.

Middle of September: Dear friends and family, I'm still waiting, waiting to receive that formal offer... and it's hard to be patient.

End of September: Dear friends and family, I didn't get the job, I'm not going to Ghana, I have no idea what I'm doing and when I'm going to see Kodjo... and I'm a little depressed about it all!

Middle of October, on a Monday: Dear friends and family, I'm going to Africa! Yippee! I bought a plane ticket to go visit Kodjo for two months. Ironically, I'm actually flying into Ghana (because it's $500 cheaper) and will taxi it over through Togo to Benin. I am so excited to finally have a date, November 29, 2006 when I'll see Kodjo again (after 10 1/2 months)!

Middle of October, the next day, a Tuesday: Dear friends and family, more great news!! Today I called the US embassy in Togo and found out that it should only take 5-6 weeks for him to get a visa for the States ONCE he is notified by the embassy to contact them (assuming there are no problems in the medical exams and interviews). The question is, how long will it be before he is notified. The petition still has to be approved here (which looks like I will happen middle of December, according to the current processing times posted online) and mailed to the embassy in Togo and then a notice mailed to him. But still, it's great news, because we were thinking it could take three months or more!

Middle of October, the next day, a Wednesday: Dear friends and family, even more great news!! An amazing provision! God miraculously brought someone to rent my apartment for four months! I know I'm only going away for two months (actually 2 1/2 because I tacked on a visit to my parents on the way back from Africa), but I am going to stay with friends a month before and a couple weeks after I get back. This way I am saving a lot of money and will actually have money to bring Kodjo to the States when the time comes... and maybe a little leftover for a wedding! It really is a miracle, because how many people are out there that want to rent an apartment for four months, in Lawndale!?! Plus, since this person is just coming to Chicago for four months for a special project, he really needed a furnished place, so I didn't have to pack up my entire place and move it out. I'm still amazed at how God provided this extra confirmation for my two-month trip to visit Kodjo and for His provision beyond what I needed.

End of October: Dear friends and family, even some more great news!! The petition for Alien Fiance (what, I never told you I'm engaged to an alien?) has been approved!! One part down, a couple more steps to go: Now the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), former INS, sends it on to the NVC (National Visa Center) who processes it for 2-4W (two to four weeks) - don't really know what they need to do with it- and sends it on to the USEMTO (US embassy in Togo) who then notifies SKE (Sodji Kodjovi Emmanuel) to contact them. How long all this sending here and there will take, we don't really know. However, from the point Kodjo actually receives notification, it could take as little as 5-6 weeks (for medicals and interviews and issuance of the visa). So, there is a SLIGHT chance that Kodjo could actually come back with me!!!!!! But don't let yourself get too excited, I said, SLIGHT chance. Either way, he should be showing his face in the States in not too much time (Feb or March)! And then the wedding is required to happen within 90 days! So, it seems likely that I'll get married before I turn 30!

Quick update for the lazy: I'm going to visit Kodjo for two months starting at the end of November (and I'm definitely counting down the days after 10 months of having been apart). Because the petition has already been granted and it appears the visa will take less time than originally anticipated, there is a small chance Kodjo would come to the States with me. More likely he will come in March and we'll get married within three months of his arrival.

So, now you are all caught up with my the last two months of my life. I know you would rather like to hear about the play-by-play action while the play is taking place, but I've never been good about keeping up this blog in a timely fashion. I always mean to be better about it and it's been on my list to do since September, but let's face it, it's just one of my weaknesses (no need to go into all the other ones at this point). And it won't get any better while I'm in Africa, because this time I will have no e-mail, except for when I visit the city. The American family who lived across the street from me in Aplahoue is not there now and the two cyber cafes in the next town have unfortunately closed down. But do not despair, you can still have contact with me if you would like to (and I would love it). You can call me on Kodjo's phone! It's only 5 bucks for an hour and it doesn't cost him anything. You can buy the phone cards at www.phonecardsavers.com. The one I have found to work best is Africa Talk (you can buy a $5 or $2 card, but if you spend less than $20 they charge you an extra dollar per card). Occasionally Africa talk isn't available, in which case I would get Cell Calling (which also comes in increments of $2 and $5). Kodjo's number is 011-229-90-04-00-79. Right now there is a 7 hour time difference from Chicago to Benin (GMT +1). Kodjo won't care if you wake him up in the middle on the night (that's usually when I call him), but I'm a grump to talk to if woken up (plus, Kodjo probably wouldn't want to walk across the road in the middle of the night to come get me... and I probably wouldn't wake up to him knocking on the door). You also won't be able to reach me when we are in Togo, which we are hoping to do for a week or so at Christmas. (However, it just came to me that we could buy a Togo SIM card then because we are planning on leaving the phone with Kodjo's family when he comes to the States and they'll need the Togo card to use the phone. I'll let you know a Togo number if that ends up being a possibility). It will be really fun to be presented to Kodjo's family as his future wife. However, they were already so hospitable and accepting of me when I was there before that I can't really imagine them being any friendlier now that they know they will be my in-laws. It will also be really interesting to see how other people we know there react when they find out about us getting married! Except for his family, only a handful of people know! It really will be a fun two-month vacation (vacations in general are fun, two months without work amazing and unheard of, and time with the one you love, priceless. How do I know TV commercials when I don't even own a TV?)! I can hardly wait!

Judging from my history of blogging, I wouldn't count on another update before I leave in 25 days (did I mention I'm counting down?). However, I just might surprise you. But if I don't, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas (another Christmas without a Christmas tree but another Christmas with my favorite gift of all) and a Happy New Year (and it will be a happy year!)! OK, now I'm slipping into cheesy mode, so I better bring this to a close.

Your Yovo

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

How is it that I always just happen to look at your blog in the moment just after you've posted? I just have a sense. Yovo Yovo calls to me.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home